Friday, April 14, 2017

April 9, 2017

Hey Mom!                                                                               April 9, 2017

This week:

The trunky call, meeting Mitzee, goin' down the right roads, and playing archaeology!

I'm still trying to fathom the fact that I don't live in Vegas anymore. Thing is, I don't really think I'll miss Vegas itself as a town, the people definitely though. But I still tell folks I'm from Vegas because I don't want to fall into the "I'm from Utah..." boat that a lot of other missionaries do in the WYM. And I'm also certain that you and Brooke are going to have a great time in Ireland! Are you going to be doing any sort of Family History work while there? I don't think we have any Irish blood, but I figured you would know more than I know. I'm still wondering if Daniel is aspiring to go to Rome for the temple dedication, whenever that will be.

You know, I don't really know what to talk about this time. To be honest with you, this past week seemed like it would take forever to pass, and now it has. Funny how time works that way. Not as much excitement as the previous week no doubt. But there was still a good amount of good things happening!

I guess before I forget, I got my trunky call on Friday. I already informed you on what they asked, but hearing Sis. Call from the office ask if I knew what school I was attending, when I reported, how much my bags needed to weigh for the airline, ticket intel, etc. Yeah, I had always wondered what getting the call would feel like, but it wasn't that bad. Still, it reminded me of the impending future. Oh boy...

Still! The next day we got to go out to Omak for our Zone Training Meeting. "Bro-mak" Zone is an Elders-quorum, no sisters serve here. Haven't been part of one since Yakima. But it was great being able to meet with all the guys for the meeting. A lot of teachings about talking less and listening and doing more with our investigators. We also were told to cut back using the words "cool" and "like." That's going to take some grit. On the way back we stopped at Nespelem. After things there fell through, we opted to go try by the folks who said we could come back. Ultimately this led us back to Joe, and this time his mother answered. And whaddya know, she let us right in! Joe was sober again, and he showed now changed emotions towards us. Turns out his Mom, Mitzee, loves the missionaries! She came from Yakima, and she met with them down there. Uncertain how much she's been taught, but she told us that she would read the Book of Mormon that we left with Joe before! She also really wants to help Joe get over his alcohol problems, and in the end she told us that we were "always welcome to come by." In a way, she reminded me a lot of Grandma Camit!

Go humanity!

Later on, we found ourselves tracting in Electric City. If I can confess, I've been falling behind in the 1-hour a day of tracting we do in the mission. Felt good being back knocking doors again. The funny looks, blank stares, and other emotions are pretty timeless. My favorite is when folks stare at the tag first just to make sure we're the Mormon missionaries before shutting the door. Part of me has always wanted to say "You wanna buy some jerky?" but I figured it wouldn't really help us get in much. Still, after going down one road we noticed a small apartment complex yonder. We decided to go knock on the doors there, but after going around the corner of the building to get to the staircase, we noticed a guy blue-taping the Chevy logo on his Cruze. I hate Chevy Cruzes. Still, talked to the guy, and turns out he's a less-active fellow named Michael! Great fellow, he's a native who joined the church a few years back. We didn't know he lived there, so we got the chance to share the Prince of Peace initiative with him. The really cool part was that after sacrament meeting the next day, his grandmother approached us and told us that his son, Sikai, got permission to be baptized! So now we can go over to teach them!

On the service note of things, we got to help some of our investigators fill in a trench that had washed out part of their walkway. Filling the trench was easy, because part of the job was to un-earth a buried stair-case underneath the walkway. That brought back memories, digging a big hole into the dirt. Eventually we hit the staircase, only to find it stopped after three steps. But still, it was fun thinking to myself maybe there's something exciting to discover if we just removed a few feet of dirt! Sorry, no lost cities. Just dirt and a half-done stair-case. And a gas line too. Nuts.

Other than that, there's not too much else happening right now. We had some pretty cool teach-people-not-lessons in Coulee City, and I'll just briefly say that sometimes, the spirit prompts you to say something unusually simple, when that question opens up into something even larger. I also learned that Turkey-vultures are big birds. And also got the chance to tell an old vet thanks for his service. He seemed to soften up from it. God bless out servicemen.

I hope you guys get to completely move into the home without any catastrophe! I still find it funny that I I'm not there to help you guys out with it. But soon enough I'll be able to help out again! Looks like you guys get about 1 month and a half before I'll be needing to go to school. I've met a lot of guys out here going to Idaho, so hopefully I'll see them there. I'll always love you guys for all you've done to help out! Got to finish strong though. Everyone take care though, and don't forget to appreciate being able to travel. We are isolated here in Coulee, but dang! It is awesome.

Love you all!