Monday, June 12, 2017

June 12, 2017


Hey Mom!                                                                                                       June 12, 2017



This week:

 Dam tours, Waterfalls, Apostles and nothing too much else.



The classes look pretty good to me! But you know I kind of feel bad, and I guess I'll have the chance to do it when I'm off the mission, but at the same time I feel guilty for having you do my registration instead of myself doing it. Then again, I'm out here, and I think it's safe to say that there won't be anything from here that won't be affected by the lessons I've learned out here. Still! I'll let you know if I still want to take ROTC by 21 June. Talked to Mckay about it, and despite his gung-ho attitude he did mention it would be better to be commissioned than get drafted if that happened. But then there's Dad's council on it. I'll give some thought and prayer, but in the end I'll let you know!



I guess you've probably been able to learn from my last emails that Coulee Dam isn't the most exciting area for stories-worth-sharing. But you know with the past week, suffice to say, I can sum up in a nicely-lengthened but also brief message. For one, took the first course of My Plan. That was....nice I guess. Basically a summary of the greatest spiritual takeaways I've had on the mission so far. I've changed and learned a lot!



The Grand Coulee Dam tour that took place a week ago was nice, as dam tours go. The post 9/11 world doesn't allow for as much excitement as it used to, but for what it was it wasn't bad! Us along with Omak and Oroville showed up on the dot for the tour to meet our member connection/tour guide himself, Bro. Miller. And his absolutely adorable 5-year old daughter, Mia. Against better judgment I assumed that this would be a private tour, but we realized we were joining along with another tour. So we may or may not have crashed the totally normal scene when 8 Mormon missionaries got in with the rest of the group at the security checkpoint. We boarded the bus, drove to Pump plant III, took the elevator down, saw the main turbines, and then went back up to drive to another view point, and then it was over. Kind of anti-climatic if I'm honest, no frozen robots, aliens, or super humans hid down there. That we know of...*insert Twilight zone music



The next highlight of the week occurred when driving up to Grand Coulee, taking us past the dam itself. Before we had heard the sound of cascading water, and assumed it was just a few of the flood-ports open.



We were wrong, the entire spill way was flowing! And it had turned the face of the Dam into a sheer white face! Kind of threw us off guard, but it was waaaayyyy cool getting to see that. Kind of like a once-in-a-lifetime thing! Learned from Bro. Miller later told us that about 185 thousand gallons of water come off that every second, and while it may seem alarming, I did the math. It would still take a little under a week to lower Lake Roosevelt one foot at full pump. In other words, more water runs out of that thing than I've ever used in my life. Lot of water folks.



Between tracting and other things, got to meet a lady and her family who were interested in coming to a church, Jessie passed her interview for baptism, and on Saturday she and Austin were married in Montana! It's been really cool meeting with them, you can really see the change that's come over them because of the Gospel. Austin has opened up a lot ever since then, and we're looking forward to Friday for them as well!



Chances are the biggest highlight was when Elder Andersen came to Kennewick for the bi-mission conference. Oh mah golly, the Spirit was super strong! I wish I could pinpoint or at least summarize what we talked about, but overall he along with members of the seventy counseled us to really have faith and effort, we could hit 50 baptisms mission wide if we really dug down and went for the gold. We need to improve our overall OYM quality, and more or less have faith that we can do this. He also bore his apostolic witness, and I'll tell you, the spirit was super charging there! Now I know more than ever that God has called Apostles and Prophets to lead, guide, and direct us in these days. Unshakable hope, that's what it is! Because in the end He sent His son to save us and strengthen us to keep going!



Yeah, it was cut up pretty well this week. I'll be certain to let you guys know how the baptism on Friday goes! I'll just end with my testimony, that I know that this church is true, and that God lives and Christ His son has risen from the dead to help us be raised ourselves. He's called prophets and brought forth the Book of Mormon along with the Bible to lead us through life. And no matter how hard it gets to live, it will always be worth it to endure! 



Anyhoo, love you all! Glad to hear that you can feel my love when I'm away. I can feel yours too! Good luck with whatever project is going on, I'll be there to help, but for now, I need to help people feel the spirit so they can change their lives for the better, acting as a representative of Jesus Christ. 



Love you all!

Michael






No comments:

Post a Comment